of the Trauma Hospital of Brno
In 1928 the Worker Trauma Insurance Company for Moravia and Silesia decided to build in Brno a modern traumatological hospital and support it financially. The direct impulse was the response to a lecture of the founder of the modern traumatology, Prof. Lorenz Böhler, in Brno.
As head of the new hospital was appointed Prof. MUDr. Vladimír Novák. In May 1933 the first injured patients were admitted. After first years of operation, the Trauma Insurance Company stated the substantial decrease of posttraumatic consequences in comparison with treatment results in other hospitals.
In 1954 the Research Institute for Traumatology was established on the basis of the Traumatological Hospital and its rehabilitation clinic. Prof.Novák was appointed as director. In years 1954 - 1966, in the Institute 51 164 patients were hospitalised and 150 000 out-patients were treated. Two thirds of them were patients with a trauma and with posttraumatic consequences. Principles for rehabilitation care verified in clinical praxis of the Institute were admitted generally in our country and abroad, too.
In years 1966-1983, the Research Institute for Traumatology was directed by doc. MUDr. Josef Kroupa, CSc. The international scientific co-operation was developed, the international traumatologic conference was organised every 2 years. Very good contacts were established with traumatological clinics in Hungary and in Austria.
In years 1983-1990, the director of the Institute was Prof. MUDr. Jaroslav Michek, DrSc. The Institute was divided in two bases - basis for traumatology and basis for special surgery. The Institute became the methodological centre for up-to-date diagnostic and treatment of polytraumatized patients and patients of some parts of specialised surgery.
From 1991 to 2005 the director was MUDr. Petr Zelníček, CSc. The Institute had returned to its traditional name Traumatological Hospital. After reconstruction the neighbouring six-storied building was included to the Hospital. In this building the new up-to-date Spinal Unit was opened in 1992. Its programme is the specialised care for traumatised patients with spinal lesion. In years 1992-1996 the building from 1932 was repaired and up-to-date equipped, too.